Canada's New Entry Requirement for Dual Citizens

I've Been Here
Canada's New Entry Requirement for Dual Citizens

Canada’s new entry requirement

A new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), is now in effect for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by air. To make sure travelling to Canada stays easy and stress free, leniency will be shown to travellers who are caught unaware until September 29, 2016.

However, starting September 30, 2016, all air travellers, including Canadian citizens, will need to have appropriate documents to travel to Canada before they can board their flight. A valid Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel document that provides proof that you are a citizen and have the right to enter Canada without being subjected to immigration screening. Make sure that the expiry date of the passport is well beyond your planned return date.

What this change means for dual Canadian citizens

If you are a Canadian citizen and a citizen of a visa-exempt country (dual Canadian citizen) who currently uses your non-Canadian passport to fly to Canada, you cannot apply for an eTA. This is because eTA was set up to screen foreigners for admissibility to enter Canada on a temporary basis.

Every Canadian citizen has the right to enter Canada and is not subject to immigration screening. Travelling with a valid Canadian passport proves that you are a citizen.

Remember: Starting September 30, 2016, you will need to show proof you are a Canadian citizen to travel to Canada by air.

For more information, visit the Government of Canada website.